Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Testimony For Tampa

I am so excited that the Steelers are headed to Tampa to play in Superbowl XLIII. There is nothing like your team playing in the big game. I have been a Steeler fan my whole life, but when they won their last Superbowl in the 70's I was 6 years old. I barely remember that game...so I really enjoyed watching them win the Superbowl three years ago. I remember going to training camp when I was 8 years old, and when Mean Joe Greene ran by me I couldn't believe how big he was. And when I was trying to get Mike Webster's autograph with a large group of kids surrounding him, I tripped on the curb and he picked me up and made sure I was okay...then gave me his autograph. (lol) I also remember Lynn Swann sneaking out the back door of the locker room so he did't have to give autographs. (I still haven't forgiven him for that...just kidding) When I was around 12 years old I went to an autograph session in Brookville and got my picture taken with Louie Lipps. That was when the Steelers were bad, but I still watched every game. Watching the Steelers play has always been one of my favorite things to do.

We see these big, strong athletes on TV and we think that they have it all. They are stars and make lots of money, but many of them are unhappy. Many of them have problems just like you and me. Many of them have an emptiness and turn to drugs and alcohol. Just because a player is in the NFL, or just because they are successful, that doesn't mean they have joy in their life. Many of them are searching.

I have read about the Steeler teams from the 70's and many of those players were strong Christians. Guys like Donnie Shell, John Stallworth, John Kolb, and Larry Brown. Many guys on those teams would pray together and read their bibles together. Many of the recent Steelers are also Christians. We see these guys that dish out big hits on Sunday afternoons...and we think we know them. Listen to this testimony by Aaron Smith from the Pittsburgh Steelers....and see if it is much different than someone that you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment