Monday, December 29, 2008

Rubiks Cube

Taylor and Christian each got a rubiks cube for Christmas, and they have been trying to figure it out. I had one when I was kid and the only way I was ever able to solve it was by tearing it apart (cheating) and putting it back together. It was always a mystery to me, so as I sat and messed with it alittle bit and I decided I wanted to be able to solve it. So, I went to...youtube and typed in rubiks cube. I got a number of matches but decided on a young man who was teaching how to solve it by using algorithms. Now, being a math teacher, that was right up my alley. I sat and listened to him for about an hour taking some notes and learning the series of steps and patterns that you must follow. It took me about 45 minutes the first time I solved it, but now I have done it around 30 times and can do it in about 10 minutes. (Hey, I am not bragging...there are guys that can do it in less than a minute with one hand) I guess my point is though...what I learned...is that with today's technology there is really nothing that we can't accomplish if we set our mind to it. If we need to know the answer to something or if we want to buy something, we have instant access to it on the internet. I realize it is just a puzzle, but it is pretty complex. I like to challenge myself to figure things out. What have you always wanted to be able to do? There is nothing stopping you from doing it...except yourself...and a little determination.

No comments:

Post a Comment